Waterproof, shockproof RICOH WG-6 camera packs 20 megapixels and 4K-resolution video functionality in a small and durable package
WEST CALDWELL, NJ, February 21, 2019-Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation today announced the RICOH WG-6, a compact, waterproof and shockproof digital camera that produces super high-resolution photos and 4K video. Equipped with a 5x optical zoom lens with 28mm wide-angle coverage and a large, wide-frame LCD monitor, the new, top-of-the-line model in the rugged WG series makes it easy to capture a range of images – from eye-catching close-ups to sweeping landscapes – in the most extreme conditions.
The RICOH WG-6 adds a host of newly designed features including a multi-application ring light ideal for macro-photography and the most dependable waterproof body in WG-series history, capable of shooting to a depth of 65 feet, for up to two continuous hours. The WG-6 body is shockproof against a fall from heights of 6.5 feet and operational in temperatures as low as -10°C.
Equipped with a state-of-the-art back-illuminated CMOS image sensor with approximately 20 effective megapixels and a high-performance imaging engine, the RICOH WG-6 delivers super-high-resolution still images and 4K-resolution video clips. In addition to the conventional Movie SR (Shake Reduction) mode, it features a new Movie SR+ mode to assure high-quality shooting with more active, fast-action outdoor activities.
A six-LED ring light unit positioned around the lens allows use of a faster shutter speed to minimize camera shake and subject shake in macro and close-up photography. This feature also allows the photographer to choose specific LEDs to illuminate a subject more three-dimensionally and emphasize its delicate contours.
Additional outdoor-friendly features include a GPS module to record position data and travel log data onto captured images; an electronic compass; and the innovative Handheld Night Snap mode, which automatically captures several images of the same nighttime scene and produces a single blur-free composite image of them.
| Pricing and Availability |
The RICOH WG-6 will be available for pre-sale at www.us.ricoh-imaging.com and retail outlets nationwide for a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $399.95.
| About Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation |
Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation is a subsidiary of Ricoh Company Ltd., a global technology company specializing in office imaging equipment, production print solutions, document management systems and IT services. Headquartered in Tokyo, Ricoh Company Ltd. Is part of Ricoh Group, which operates in about 200 countries and regions. The company operating now as Ricoh Company Ltd. was originally founded in 1919, under the name Asahi Optical Joint Stock Co. and launched its first SLR camera in the 1950s under the PENTAX name. Today, the company continues to produce the heritage-rich, award-winning line of PENTAX DSLR cameras, lenses and sport optics equipment as well as Ricoh’s offering of stylish and compact digital cameras, known for their wide-ranging, rich set of features.
For further information, please visit www.us.ricoh-imaging.com
© 2019 Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation. All rights reserved. All referenced product names are the trademarks of their respective companies.
For More Information, Contact:
Breakaway Communications for Ricoh
(530) 864-0136 – mobile
1. Heavy-duty construction for underwater shooting down to 20 meters, for up to two continuous hours
- The WG-6’s solid, airtight body is not only waterproof to a depth of 20 meters — the deepest in the history of the WG series — and for up to two hours of continuous operation (equivalent to IPX8 or JIS Class 8), but it’s also shockproof against a fall from heights of up to 2.1 meters,* dustproof (equivalent to IPX6 or JIS Class 6), cold-resistant to temperatures as low as -10°C, and crushproof against weights of up to 100kgf (kilogram force).** Thanks to this heavy-duty construction, the WG-6 performs superbly and dependably in harsh, demanding outdoor conditions.
* Measured using RICOH IMAGING-original testing standards — from a height of 2.1 meters, onto a surface of 5cm-thick plywood — conforming to Method 516-5-Shock of the LIK-Standard 810F.
** Measured under RICOH IMAGING-original testing standards.
2. High-quality, high-resolution images
- Combining a state-of-the-art back-illuminated CMOS image sensor (which excels in high-sensitivity and low-noise characteristics and assures high-speed readout of image data signals) with a high-performance imaging engine, the WG-6 delivers a top sensitivity of ISO 6400 and super-high-resolution images with approximately 20.0 effective megapixels. It also provides advanced image processing functions, made possible by the latest super-resolution technology, to assure sharp, clear, high-resolution images. It even provides such innovative features as Handheld Night Snap mode, which automatically captures several images of the same nighttime scene and produces a single blur-free composite image from them.
3. 4K-resolution movie recording for extended shooting of high-quality movies
- The WG-6 provides 4K-resolution movie recording in the H.264 format, allowing the user to capture high-quality, extended movie clips (3840 x 2160 pixels, 30 frame rate). In addition to the conventional Movie SR (Shake Reduction) mode,* it also features a new Movie SR+ mode,* which generates a shake-reduction effect similar to the one created by a gimbal unit to assure high-quality movie shooting with more active, fast-action outdoor activities.
* When one of these modes is activated, the angle of view becomes narrower. The Movie SR+ mode can be used at a recorded pixel size smaller than the Full HD format (1920×1080 pixels).
4. Five-times optical zoom lens with 28mm wide-angle coverage
- Thanks to its five-times optical zoom lens with an angle-of-view coverage from 5mm to 25mm (equivalent to approximately 28mm to 140mm in the 35mm format) and a minimum focusing distance of a mere one centimeter, the WG-6 covers a wide range of applications, from eye-catching close-ups to sweeping landscapes. Its Intelligent Zoom function extends the zoom range by approximately 40.5 times without compromising image quality, while its Interval Shooting mode makes fixed-point photography simple and effortless.
5. Six multi-application Marco Lights to assist close-up shooting
- Positioned around the circumference of the lens barrel, the WG-6’s six LED Macro Lights let the user select a faster shutter speed to minimize camera shake and subject shake in macro and close-up photography. The discharge level can be increased to as much as ten times that of conventional units. It also allows selective lighting, in which the user can activate only the horizontally or vertically aligned lights to illuminate the subject more three-dimensionally and emphasize the subject’s delicate contours.
6. 3.0-inch, wide-frame LCD monitor for wide-angle viewing
- The WG-6 comes equipped with a large, high-resolution 3.0-inch LCD monitor with 3:2 proportions and approximately 1,040,000 dots. Its AR (Anti-Reflection) coating minimizes annoying glare and reflections to assure a sharp, clear on-screen image even in the harsh sunshine often encountered in outdoor shooting. It also features an Outdoor View Setting, which allows for easy adjustment of monitor brightness according to changes in ambient lighting conditions, to optimize the visibility of the on-screen image.
7. Enhanced GPS functions for easier data recording
- The WG-6 has a built-in GPS module, which automatically records position data and travel log data onto captured images and adjusts the built-in clock to local time. This module can be activated with a single action, and can receive signals from Japan’s quasi-zenith satellite system Michibiki and Russia’s GLONASS (global navigation satellite system), in addition to U.S. GPS satellites. By linking it with the SBAS (satellite-based augmentation system), the user can even record more accurate position data at various locations and times. When shooting indoors, the GPS Lock function allows the user to record GPS data onto captured images by using previously acquired position data.
8. Other features
- Two remote control receivers (one in front and another on the back) to widen signal coverage
- Electronic Level to check the camera’s horizontal/vertical inclination
- 18 Scene modes to select the finishing touch best suited to the subject, including a new Depth-of-field Composite mode
- 12 digital filters
- User position on the mode dial to program and recall user-selected camera settings
- DW-5 (optional) to broaden the angle-of-view coverage to approximately 22mm (in the 35mm format) at wide-angle end
- Compatibility with FlashAirTM SD memory cards for wireless LAN communications
- Three strap lug receptacles for versatile strap arrangements, such as vertical and two-point suspensions
RICOH O-CC173 Protector Jacket
This silicon protector jacket not only protects the camera from dirt and scratches, but also improves grip on the camera and enhances holding comfort.
RICOH SC-900 Camera Case
This holder-type camera case comes with a belt loop on the back and allows for quick removal of the camera during snapshot photography.
♦ USB Type-C is a trademark of USB Implementers Forum.
♦ FlashAir is a trademark of Toshiba Memory Corporation.
♦ HDMI, the HDMI logo, and High-Definition Multimedia Interface are trademarks or registered trademarks of HDMI
♦ All other brands or product names mentioned herein are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
♦ Designs and specifications are subjects to change without notice.